It’s been quite the week at New Inklings Press and at Bedford Manor. Mostly, I’ve been looking forward to this post: Five Things Friday (formerly The Friday Five). This is your chance to share stories and ideas based on a common theme.
As you can guess by the ALL CAPS word in the title, this week’s theme is NEW. It’s a beautiful idea. New can mean exciting or sometimes scary. It can bring amazing adventures or sometimes just a new perspective on the same situation. This week, I invite you to share Five NEW Things in your life. Do you have a new friend or significant other? Are you good at upcycling furniture or crafts? Did you sit in a different chair in your same old house and suddenly see things differently? Has a new project found its way onto your schedule and into your heart? Tell your Five Things here, and be sure to share. Don’t forget to come back and see what others have to say. And tell your friends… everyone loves a party!
And now, the Mojo Five Things Friday: NEW.
1. I am, of course, exceptionally thrilled with my NEW Blog design. It makes me happy just to log in and look at it, and then I get to actually write. I think my posts are better just to keep up with the better-appealing Blog. It’s less cluttered with ads, more streamlined with buttons. And the layout is so much nicer. It’s definitely on the TOP of my NEW appreciation.
2. New Inklings Press. My company. Of course I love it, it’s my Business Baby. But I love the name. It’s an homage to the Inklings, a writers group that C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were a part of. Since The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of The Rings are some of my most favorite reads, how could I not name my company after them? Also, I’m in love with my Logo. My good-friend-almost-a-brother Joe designed it for me. I based it off my favorite Uncle’s design for his own writing. [You can read about that here.] But I’m not good with design. Joe laughed at my nearly kindergarten-looking colored pencil attempt at explaining what I wanted. But he understood. And he created. And now I have Uncle Roger’s frog for my Logo.
3. “New and Improved.” To me, that’s the same as saying “One Size Fits All”. Which is, essentially, a lie. Let’s face it: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Somethings are better left the way they are. Facebook, for instance, is always changing. Computer updates. How people take care of business. The “new and improved” automated voice services at Verizon only mean it now takes three times as long to actually talk to a person. Customer Service certainly was left out of the “New and Improved” equation for too many stores. Uhm. Sorry. Can you help me step down from my soapbox now? Thanks.
4. I have a New project. But it’s old. But it’s new. I started another Kickstarter Campaign to raise funds for another printing of both editions of The Unemployment Cookbook. At first, Kickstarter thought it was just a repeat of the Project from a few months ago and they weren’t sure it would work. Once I explained that this Project offers the Backer their choice of the First or Second Edition (or both), they approved it immediately. Click here to see the New Project and pre-order (or RE-order) your own copy!
5. My last “new” is perspective. I can’t explain it really; but there’s a change; nearly a Paradigm Shift inside. It feels as though my eyes are opening for the first time, or I’m looking through better glasses. There’s a knowledge inside me that I haven’t yet grasped, but I know it’s there, and it’s blooming. I have a deeper understanding of what’s important and what’s not; a new vision of goals and how to meet them. Along with this comes new actions: I’m able to take these baby steps and little by little combine them to make great strides. My Housing Project posts may be infrequent but that doesn’t mean we’re stagnating. Each day I write. Each month I’m getting closer to financial solvency. I’ve also realized it’s okay to fail now and then, with these and other goals. It’s okay to just be me… as long as I’m striving to be the Best Me I’m supposed to be.
And now it’s your turn. What Five NEW Things are on your mind? Have you blogged about them? If so, link up here. If not, just drop a comment or two… or five.
Come on over and we’ll chat on my Newly cleaned back patio. The coffee’s waiting…
And Frankly, My Dear… that’s all she wrote!