For realz. Who doesn’t love photos of cute kittens? (Which begs the question: Are there ever any ugly kittens? I think not.) And better ratings? And smart, helpful people? Those social bees will be swarming all over for a piece of this sweet pie.
Just like with books on the bookstore shelf, a post on the blog is competing with many more like it. The reality is titles are the money-maker. You could have found the cure for the common cold, but unless your title gets the reader’s attention, no one else will benefit from your wisdom.
Hooking your readers feels a bit like putting together a jigsaw puzzle while blindfolded but like any puzzle, once you get the border established, the rest will fall into place.
Take a look at the title for this post. Got your attention, didn’t it? Let’s break it down into manageable morsels and get you some title honey to help attract your Swarm.
- The Popularity Contest. Social media is interactive. Become a Bee Ninja and learn from the masters. Then share and share alike. Cross links, reposts, and mentions are a great way to let others know you recognize their sweet social media savvy, and they may return the favor. At the very least, your readers will know you do your research.
- It’s a Numbers Game. “Five Easy Solutions” or “Ten Alternate Ways” gives your readers a selection to choose from. They may not agree with everything you say, but who doesn’t love counting the seconds when the Big Apple falls on New Year’s Eve? Give your Swarm a reason to see if their favorites made your list. And then ask them to leave a comment of what they would add.
- Keep it Simple. Notice how often the words “easy” and “simple” are used in countdown titles. Would you read a post that offered 25 Complicated Steps to Brushing Your Hair? How about 31 Ways to Confuse Yourself in the Kitchen? Remember your Swarm is made up of worker bees. You want them to have time to promote you, not get frustrated and fly away. A short list plus easy options equals a happy hive.
- Yes, I mean kittens. Cute, cuddly, attention-grabbing kittens. Do you have any idea how many posts generate kitten memes? I don’t either, but I hear it’s, well, a lot. Find something specific to your brand or subject matter that others will buzz about then stand back and watch them play.
- The End Goal. Imagine a large stadium or court with the clock ticking down. Tick. Tick. Tick. The ball snaps or bounces and you leap out of the impending rush of opponents. Your teammates cheer and buzz as you reach the goal, make the pass. Even the visitors have to admit, you have what it takes. And you sweetly take the win.
Not every posts needs every element, but a good title will draw your Swarm in. A great post will keep them buzzing.
With some sweet tea and a spoonful of honey,
~ Happy writing.