by Molly Jo Realy @MollyJoRealy
Y’all may have picked up on this month’s theme: Autumn. Go figure. But, for realz. What, I’m gonna blog about the Easter Bunny? Nah. Not for at least six weeks.
As soon as the calendar turns to October, I turn to Fall. Even in the SoCal desert with it’s almost-80-degree temperatures and you-call-that-a-yard?-dirt, there’s something quite lovely about it all. Scarves come out, Pumpkin Spice Lattes are everywhere. It’s as if the Pumpkin Grinch himself dusted everything with pumpkin seed glitter.
I could go on and on, but since this is just a five item post, let me share my top reasons for loving October:
- It’s at most eleven weeks away from Christmas. For me, the first of October kind of jump starts the holidays. I’ll be lacing the car stereo with my Harry Connick, Jr Christmas CDs this weekend. #truestory. And in a few weeks the family will start to get cryptic texts like “For ransom: Doo Dads. Send money now.” [Note to self: Coupons are awesome. Start clipping.] Pretty soon the decor will come out of storage, the evenings will get longer. It’s one of my favorite times of year.
- Baseball. Yup. That’s right. ‘Tis the season for my Yankees to bring it on home. And to watch Field of Dreams. And to eat Cracker Jacks. All these wonderful things are the zenith of my baseball watching experience. And I love it. Every. Single. Year. Does it matter that Jeter’s no longer on the team? Nah. We’re doing okay with Aaron Judge.
- Pumpkin everything. I know, know. Y’all see it everywhere and are burnt out. This Girl say whaat?! How can you be burnt out of pumpkin? Pumpkin Spice Latte, pumpkin soup, pumpkin flavored Belvita crackers, pumpkin carving, pumpkin seeds. Did I mention Pumpkin Spice Latte?
- Autumn TV/Movies. This time of year is a guarantee you’ll find me watching The West Wing, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, the aforementioned Field of Dreams, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Autumn in New York, The Godfather, and of course, Nightmare Before Christmas. I’m a sucker for all things autumn, New York, crispy leaves, and Disney. But I think all y’all already knew that, yes?
- Cat Cuddles. Like I could leave my furfamily out of this. They’re the best part of this time of year. This year, in Lizzie’s absence, Little has already taken to sleeping on the pillow, and Iris is always by my side. Berry is always with me, and Sparkles has even warmed up to being in my general presence without argument.
There are so many more things I love about October, but these are the best. My bonus reason is it’s my mom’s favorite time of year, too, and when she’s happy, I’m happy. [Hey, Mom. Let’s go Christmas shopping this weekend, okay?]
With an orange scarf and pumpkin latte,
Happy Autumn, y’all!
And Frankly, My Dear . . . That’s all she wrote!